Friday, May 16, 2008

Luvva Luvva, Hubba Hubba

If you see me walking down the street and I suddenly hug you.
If I leave you a sappy voice mail.
If I tell you I love you with a tear in my eye.
If I wear my feelings on my sleeve for a while, please cut me some slack.

I had an epiphany the other day and it has made me take a look at the big picture. I had a near miss. It got me thinking and it’s really weighing on me.

Life is short people. Your life is now. Don’t miss your chances.

What caused this emotional awakening? The other day the news reached me that there was a fire. It was at Pat’s Hubba Hubba in Stamford, CT. No one was injured, but I did not know the extent of the damage. Was it gone? Burned down? Consumed by the Wrath of God?

My mind raced. Had I had my last steak and chili wedge? I broke out in a cold sweat. Did the crowd at Jimmy’s Seaside see their last, late night, drunken chili dog, or pile of chili cheese fries? I was practically panicked.

Sure, I don’t go there that often, but I know it’s always there. And there are certain times that Hubba Hubba is the only thing that will scratch my itch. Now it might be gone. And I did not have a chance to say goodbye. I took it for granted.
Never again.

I am lucky. Hope is not lost. I hear that they are closed for repairs and renovations. They will be back. I cross my fingers and hope for the best; that they reopen and the menu is the same. I can get that fiery chili drizzled on any greasy dish I desire, and I can wash it down with a coke in a tiny, glass bottle.

So people, don’t miss this wake up call. Tell the people in your life that you love them. Write that novel. Take that trip. Kiss that girl. Learn that language. Get that dream job. But most of all, go eat at your favorite places. Eat like there is no tomorrow, because you never know when there won’t be a tomorrow.

Now if you will excuse me, I am heading up to Beverly, Ma to have a large beef with extra sauce at Nick’s Roast Beef.

Before it’s too late.


PS- I love you. (And chili.)

3 comments:

Christine G. said...

I love you jack.
i'm glad you had that cosmic dope-slap and were able to share the love and pour it out....

hugs.

Laura said...

The chili cheese water at the Hubba will be back...

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was wondering if you could post your own personal recipes for the following:

BBQ Chicken
BBQ Ribs
Chile
BBQ Skirt Steak

Please keep in mind that I would be using a regular gas grill. I don't have advanced equipment like a smoker, etc...

Shane