Wednesday, September 17, 2008

90210- Week 3: You Dropped a Bomb on Me

First of all, I got in late and missed the first few minutes of 90210. Secondly, I kept flicking over to the Red Sox game. Thirdly, I may have had a scotch or three after work. So my head was not really in it tonight.

It hit me tonight that watching the new 90210 is kind of like watching a movie on Cinemax after 11:30 pm. I only really care about a few scenes and the rest is filler. With 90210, it’s all about the old cast. With Cinemax it’s… well, you can figure that out for yourself. Tonight was a perfect example of this. Out of a one hour show, there were pretty much only two or three scenes that I really needed to see.

First was the bomb that Brenda dropped on us about the father of Kelly’s child. I figured they’d milk this one all season until we got a big reveal and a guest appearance during sweeps week. They teased us early in the show tonight, when awkward Ryan asked Brenda about it. We get another vague tidbit about the father traveling the world, helping people. But then, when Kelly is bitching to Brenda about that very conversation, Brenda let’s the cat out of the bag. Kelly is still in love with Dylan. So I guess the little guy is a McKay.

That’s it? That’s the big reveal? I was hoping for a “Luke, I’m your father” like roar, but instead all I got is an “Um, Luke Perry is your father” whimper.

I really hope the kid grows out his sideburns over the next few episodes and starts acting like his dad. Maybe those mobsters who killed his grandfather father will kidnap him and Dylan will have to return to save him from another exploding car… or exploding Big Wheel.

With that big question out of the way, I’m not sure where they go from here. Doe anyone really want to see Kelly with awkward Ryan? Would anyone want to actually date this guy? All he does is ask questions about the status of the relationship. He never stops, kind of like the Energizer Bunny. He’s both awkward and annoying. If he was a battery, he’d be Double A. And that just might be his new nickname.

The other thing of note tonight was Joe E. Tata’s most significant screen time since the start of the new show. Dixon needs money so he applies for and gets a job from Nat at the Peach Pit. If you any doubts about him being Blandon, I rest my case. Alas, times have changed at The Pit and the classic bowling shirt uniform is no more. It’s been replaced by a lame t-shirt. (Who am I kidding? I’ll end up scouring the internet in search of one.)

I wish they had explained the new look of The Peach Pit a bit more like Happy Days did when they remodeled Arnold’s. On Happy Days, Arnold’s is accidentally burnt down by Chachi. Couldn’t the 90210 people come up with a similar scenario? Maybe Brenda accidentally starts a grease fire during an encore performance as Lavern the Waitress?

Speaking of Brenda, Ms. Walsh was busy this week. Somehow, before I tuned in, Grandma Tabitha had ended up in charge of the musical that Annie is starring in, and Brenda is brought in to the rescue. Jessica Walter’s performance made me miss Arrested Development so much. She is wonderful. Her overbearing directing reaches a crescendo when she grabs a mic and starts kicking out the jams on that song we’ve been hearing the group rehearse for the past few weeks. Brenda video tapes the rehearsal and Grandma is able to see what a pain in the ass she’s being. She gracefully steps down and hands the reins over to Brenda.

Meanwhile, Blandon is burning the candle at both ends with school and shifts at The Pit. There are also some sparks between Silver and him. Silver pretty much asks herself out for him, making her worth her weight in gold. Eventually Blandon’s grades start to suffer because of his hours and his father steps in to help him out. I was really hoping Nat would bail him out, like he did when Brandon had the gambling problem.

Some other stuff happened tonight with the other characters, but it’s getting late so it will have to wait.

Okay, I’ll admit it… I gotta go see what’s on Cinemax.

Tata for now.

PS- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia starts back up on Thursday. It's my favorite show and I highly recommend it.

No comments: