Thursday, August 7, 2008

Movies I Always Watch: 2

I got home from a long day and looked forward to a couple of hours in front of the tube. That’s when I stumbled upon another one of those movies I always end up watching again and again. This time it was Independence Day, with Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Vivica A. Fox and about a million other well known actors. I knew that no matter what I else I found, I’d find myself flipping over every few minutes for some lighthearted alien invasion fun.

Then, as I surfed around I came across The Rock. Oh no. The Rock is the very movie that got this segment started in the first place. I simply can’t help but watch that silly, over the top masterpiece. Two of these kinds of movies at the same time, could this be a sign of the apocalypse? Is it like crossing the streams of the Ghostbuster’s proton packs? How do I handle this?

I’ll tell you how I handled it. I handled it similar to the way Superman handles all those simultaneous cries for help he hears from all over the world. I do the best I can. I flick back and forth. As soon as one movie hits a slow spot, I check in on the other. My thumb worked with a strength and dexterity worthy of the Man of Steel himself.

While I worked my clicker magic I discovered a new Iron Chef America was on as well. The stars really were aligning. That’s one of the best clicker shows ever. No need to watch from start to finish, but great to check in with at commercials. To my thumbs chagrin, I added it to the mix.

What a night. The only thing I had to be aware of was to not miss my favorite line in Independence Day. No, not “Welcome to Earth!” It’s when Randy Quaid flies his jet into the alien mother ship. “In the words of my generation, UP YOURS!!!”

Oh, one last thought in closing. Ghostbusters would definitely qualify as one of those movies I always watch. Thank God that wasn’t on tonight too. My poor thumb probably would have fallen off.

No comments: